May 27-June 1st
Flight Information- Be at the airport on May 27th at 5AM.
Departing on May 27th at 7:05AM on Southwest Airlines Flight WN1295
Arriving home on June 1st at 9:25AM on Southwest Airlines Flight WN1045
Imagine losing everything in your home—not just furniture, clothing, and vehicles but also memories like family photos, childhood toys or a favorite book. This is exactly what thousands of families in Houston and surrounding coastal communities experienced when Hurricane Harvey smashed into Texas in August 2017. As you watched the news, we know you felt compassion for families but may be unsure how to help with Texas disaster relief efforts.
Hurricane Harvey relief mission trips to Houston, Texas are a practical way for you and your team to meet real needs on the ground. As you roll up your sleeves, you’ll be involved in anything from gutting homes, to flooring, framing, drywalling or more. Not only will you have a chance to meet physical needs, but you’ll also have the chance to make a spiritual impact by listening to and encouraging homeowners who are continuing to pick up the pieces of their lives.
Teams will serve local residents who have been impacted by the flooding from Hurricane Harvey. As the relief gets underway Experience Mission plans to help our local partners with whatever projects they deem the most important. As homes are gutted we will jump into rebuilding which will primarily focus on drywall and flooring.
Hurricane Harvey Packing List
Work clothes Your work clothes will be subject to paint, sweat, mud, etc. Please do not wear work clothes that cannot be ruined. It is also important to remain sensitive to others by dressing in a conservative manner; shirts must have a minimum of cap sleeves – No tank tops, short shorts or leggings please (no running shorts or short athletic shorts). Conservative length athletic shorts, board shorts, Bermuda length shorts or capris recommended. Thank you for honoring and respecting this.
- Clothes to wear after work (it feels good to be clean!)
- Lightweight pajamas
- Light Jacket or sweatshirt
- Bathing suit for the showers
- Sturdy work shoes, boots or sturdy tennis shoes (no open toes shoes on the worksite)
- Sturdy work gloves
- Bandanas for work site (optional)
- Hat for sun protection (optional)
- Safety Glasses
- Sun glasses (optional)
- Flip flops for the shower
- A sleeping bag or blanket and sheet. Evenings will be cool.
- Sleeping pad or blow up mattress. Floors will be hard
- A pillow (optional, but it sure feels good at night!)
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush…)
- Insect repellent
- Personal medications like Tylenol, Advil (please inform your Team Leader of any prescription medications you will be bringing)
- Sunscreen (SPF 15 and above is recommended)
- Lip balm with sunscreen (SPF 15 and above is recommended)
- Bible, notebook and pens
- Refillable Water bottle
- Anti-bacterial hand gel or wipes
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Day Pack to carry personal items to the worksite
How to Pack
Each person is allowed 2 checked bags & 1 carry on bag. If you are over 18, you MUST remember to bring your driver's license with you.
I suggest that 1 checked bag contain all your clothes, etc. and 1 checked bag contain your bedding.